The Value of AMGA | IFMGA Certification
American Mountain Guides Association
The AMGA inspires an exceptional client experience as the premier source for training, credentials, resource stewardship and services for professional mountain guides and climbing instructors in the United States.
For over 30 years, the AMGA has been dedicated to supporting the guiding community through excellence in education, standards and certification to enhance the quality of services provided to the public, while serving as a resource for accessing and protecting the natural environment. As a group the AMGA presents a strong, unified voice for high standards of the professionalism of guiding and climbing instruction in the United States. The AMGA is an organization grounded in powerful tradition that continues to evolve with the ever changing arena of mountain guiding and climbing instruction. We offer a series of training courses and exams designed to certify guides and climbing instructors to the highly respected, internationally recognized, standards of the AMGA.
International Federation of Mountain Guides Associations
The IFMGA is an international association of mountain guide associations from all over the world, including the AMGA in America. They represent all mountain guides of their country, which are qualified according to the IFMGA guidelines.
The organization, founded in 1965 by guides from Austria, France, Switzerland and Italy, is currently a body of mountain guide associations from more than 20 countries in Europe, Asia, the Americas, and Oceania, representing a total of almost 6000 guides.
Aims of the association:
- Regulation of the mountain guide profession on a global scale
- Representing the interests of the mountain guiding profession to government agencies
- Support of standard rules and regulations for the mountain guide profession
- Determination of mandatory international training standards
- Reciprocal acceptance of the qualification
- Support of free professional activity of the mountain guides
- Support of national associations, especially the one under construction
- Providing services and assistance for mountain guides